Thursday 3 April 2014

Charity rides- the new golf tournament

Check out this article in the Vancouver Province  newspaper the other day. In it they ask, "Is cycling is the new golf?" It is an interesting proposal given the recent surge of interest in road biking. For me the answer is yes- I put away my clubs 4 years ago as I discovered a new love for cycling.

The question I would ask as well is then, has the cycling charity ride become the new charity golf tournament? I have attended many golf tournaments, some as grueling as 100 holes in one day. I must say they can be a lot of fun and a great excuse to walk through some great scenery. However, now that I have ridden in a few charity rides, I can say that I can get a lot more scenery in a day than at any golf tourney!

Both golf and cycling events do a great job at raising funds for many worthy charities. One thing I love about a fundraising cycling event is that the effort needed to pull off a long ride makes me feel like I've accomplished something special. It is also a fun challenge to match the hard work of riding with hard work raising funds for the event. As well, it's hard not to sponsor a rider when they tell you they are going to clock a couple hundred clicks in one event for a charity. If a rider can donate that kind of effort, I can donate some money!

Whether you are a regular rider at charity cycling events, or if you are considering your first one this summer, on behalf of all the great non-profit organizations- Thank You! Your effort to ride and raise funds really encourages our effort to reach out in our community.

If you want to make this your summer to try to Skatelife GranFondo, now's the time to sign up! Click here for registration info and much more. See you this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment